The One World Academy Program offers a meaningful and unique afterschool experience for DC students. During the 10-week program, students engage in a rigorous academic environment that is safe, nurturing, and creative. Our timeline details each step of the OST partnership and allows all parties to understand how to support students as they improve their ability to research, write about, and present on social justice topics they’re passionate about.
Before Program’s Start
- School leaders sign MOU with One World Education
- Afterschool point of contact meets with One World Director of Programs
- One World staff deliver information session to interested students
- School Partner provides a cohort of 10-12 committed students for pre-Academy meeting
- School Partner completes a transportation plan
- Student and Family Orientation at MLK Public Library
- Program Kick-Off at MLK Public Library
- Academy hosts School Partners for observation at MLK Library
- Students complete essay & prepare for One World Challenge presentations
- Students’ families and school community members attend One World Challenge to see final presentations. Program staff announce scholarship/prize winners.
Professional Learning & Reporting
- One World delivers Impact Reports to Afterschool and School Leaders in Debrief Meeting